If you are still debating on whether or not to attend BarCamp Nashville this year, lend me your eyes and read on so I can convince you not to miss one of Nashville’s biggest tech events:
The Top 10 Reasons to Attend BarCamp Nashville (from my point of view)
10. Beer – You know this event is at a bar, right? Nothing says “I want to learn” better than getting buzzed by 1pm. Seriously…this isn’t your average stuffy-know-it-all conference…this is a laid back learning experience and it’s amazing.
9. Friends – I bet you know at least one other person going to this event. If you don’t, guess what? I can almost promise you will leave with a new contact that could turn into a great friendship/partnership.
8. Me – Connecting IRL with folks you LOL with online is great. BarCamp is a real world platform to meet the folks you chat, twitter and FB with daily.
7. Food – Even though you have to pay for lunch, the Barcamp crew provide coffee & snacks to get you ready to sieze the day.
6. Ideas – If you enjoy surrounding yourself with people whose opinions and attitudes make you think critically about your own methods and practices…you’ll love this event.
5. Rule – As in, the Rule of 2 Feet. Ever been to a conference only to get stuck in sessions that cover topics that don’t interest you? That is basically an impossible scenario at BarCamp. There are usually 3-4 sessions planned for each time slot, and if you feel you aren’t benefitting from the session you decided on you just get up and walk to a different one. It’s that simple, and no one has hurt feelings. You are in total control of your learning experience.
4. FREE – Generally people love the word free. BarCamp is a truly impressive learning event and it will cost you nothing.
3. Sharing – If you’re attending BarCamp, you’ve got something to share. Some nugget of info inside your head may just be the key to unlocking someone else’s mysteries. Share yourself! Because it feels great knowing you can help others…no matter what your level of expertise.
2. Networking – Nashville seems a whole lot smaller when you have so many important folks in one bar. You never know who is going to be there and what opportunities this event could lead to. At the very least, you will come away with a few business cards and perhaps a few friends.
And the #1 reason is…..
1. Learning – That’s right. At BarCamp, you’ll be surrounded by smarty pants. Attend sessions and engage in conversations to cram as much knowledge in your brain as you can. I’m definitely hoping some smart rubs off on me.
Goodness, time has flown. I’ve been so busy with so much going on, where to start? Well let’s just pick up right where I am now, shall we? I’m the Marketing Coordinator for BarCamp this year. I’ve been working with the design, copywriting and web teams to make sure the event is promoted successfully. I’m also speaking at BarCamp this year. Yep. My topic is Time Management: How to make everyone think you own a flux capacitor. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. That being said, October is the busiest month I’m going to have all year. Projects, work and volunteering have me pulled in so many different directions, I hope there’s a bit of my sanity left when it’s over.